Monday, November 12, 2007

Costco Observations


Today in the Costco books section: Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volumes 1 & 2 (both hardcover), for $26. I somehow found enough restraint not to buy it since I'm still working through Joy of Cooking (coincidentally, $17 at Costco) to the best that I can and have sworn off other cookbooks until I get through a reasonable chunk of it, but that's a bloody good deal and I cannot resist such things. I will go back sometime this week.

The main reason I went to Costco was to get motor oil, dishwasher detergent, and cereal - oh, the excitement! I have this problem where I walk the aisles to see what else there is though, and I ended up getting a bunch of tupperware-esque things to hold all my bulk items. My pantry consists of piles of plastic bags with stuff in them right now. Every time I want something, I end up taking half the plastic bags out to find what I need. Sometimes I accidentally puncture holes in the plastic bags. It's a bad scene.

I've also been wanting to make rice pudding for a while, and so while I was at Costco I figured I'd check out what they had for rice. I don't really eat much rice, having eaten it at least once a day from ages 2-ish until 18-ish. I'm totally burnt out on the stuff. I like pasta and noodles. Sometimes I buy a pound of basmati rice from Trader Joe's for indian food.

Well, I came home with 20 lbs of rice. It was $6. And hey, it's extra fancy! That's a lot of pudding.

Leftover report: I put a can of diced tomatoes, juice and all, in the peanut soup from last night. They seemed to help. It still doesn't really taste great, but it's probably good for me, and it's not unedible. I have a half gallon of the stuff left. Sigh.

I made a carrot-walnut loaf tonight but I'll write about it tomorrow, since I accidentally killed my camera battery. There's apparently no auto shut-off when it's connected to the computer.

No comments: